lunes, 24 de marzo de 2014

Idioms and Ambiguity

Meaning can often be complicated through the use of metaphors, idioms, or simply through ambiguous relationships between words. What are the actual meanings of the first two idioms below? What are the possible meanings of the next ambiguous sentences?
  • Bite your tongue: literally bite someone / shut up.
  • Pull my leg: my leg / play a joke to someone.
  • He is my English teacher: he is my english teacher/someone may thing, that he come from England (ambiguity) /He correct everything about English.
  • I saw the person with a telescope: you saw someone with a telescope or you use the telescope to saw someone.
  • She doesn’t like short men or women: Ambiguity, she doesn't like short men or women. Or the other meaning that she doesn't like short men or all women.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario